Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pumpkin Black Bean Chicken Chili ( for the slow cooker)

I'll admit, that until recently
when my food choices were severely limited,
I was not one to venture out and try new things.
In my book, pumpkin was something you ate in a pie.
It was sweet and had cinnamon and nutmeg involved.
I didn't grow up eating pumpkin.

Guess what?

A pumpkin is a squash.....a vegetable.
Not sweet at all.
Kinda neutral in taste.
But loaded with great stuff for your body.
Who knew? ( apparently a lot of people besides me)
Anywhooo...I'm a big fan of pumpkin these days
and we eat it often.
So here is the chili recipe that we had on Christmas Eve.
(My nephew said it was a good thing
I didn't tell him it had pumpkin in it
until after he ate it)

Our entire family loved it.
I served it with coconut flour muffins
and you can find that recipe here.
The muffins taste very much like cornbread
and you can bake the recipe in an 8 x 8 pan
instead of muffin tins for a more traditional "corn bread".

Hope you love it too.

Pumpkin Black Bean Chicken Chili

1 cup chopped organic onion
1 cup chopped organic yellow bell pepper
3 cloves garlic - minced ( or shallots)
2 tblsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
4 - 15oz cans organic black beans - rinsed & drained
2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 - 16oz can organic pumpkin puree
1 - 14 1/2 oz can organic diced tomatoes
3 cups chicken broth
1 - 14oz can organic unsweetened coconut milk

Saute onions, yellow pepper and garlic in oil for about 8 minutes or until soft. Stir in oregano, cumin and chili powder and cook for 1 minute more. Transfer to slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7 - 8 hours.

0 comments:

Post a Comment