Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Homemade Chicken Broth

Today is a big day for me for lots of reasons.
First let me start by saying how excited I am
to finally own a cast iron stock pot.
For the past 15 years I have been so weak and so full of daily pain
that I couldn't even lift one of the lids on these beauties.
 I thought for sure I'd never be able to cook with one.
But low and behold, no more pain for me
 and this gorgeous red pot is mine.
So for her maiden voyage (so to speak)
I'm making homemade chicken broth.
The only store bought chicken broth that I can have
with my food sensitivities costs about $4.00 per quart.
This pot will yield 2 quarts plus a beautifully cooked chicken as well
for around $12.00 total.
( I pay about $10.00 for a whole free range chicken)

Homemade Chicken Broth

2 1/2 pound whole free range chicken
2 organic celery ribs
3 organic medium carrots, cut into chunks
2 organic medium onions, quartered
2 bay leaves
4 tsp sea salt (optional)
1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
1/2 tsp dried thyme
8 whole peppercorns
2 quarts cold water

Place all ingredients in a soup kettle or dutch oven. Slowly bring to boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Set chicken aside until cool enough to handle and remove all meat from the bones. Strain broth. I add the cooked vegetables to some cooked rice along with some of the chicken for a tasty meal. Refrigerate the broth overnight and remove cold layer of fat if desired. I've noticed that with the free range chicken there is almost no fat the remove the next day. So that's it! Super easy and healthy! AND cost effective! Try it.....you'll like it!

1 comments:

Regena said...

Homemade is always best and congrats on your pot's maiden voyage!!
You'll be enjoying it for years to come

Post a Comment